Thursday, September 21, 2017

The Trial of Miles BEGINS!!

Last night the first 1.5 miles of my 90 mile quest was logged.

It wasn’t great:  18:11 for an 11:30 pace.

But it wasn’t bad, either.

 

My biggest concern following the Kemah 10k was my left leg in general.  That peg has had a twisted ankle, plantar fasciitis, plantar fasciosis, Achilles tendonitis, patellar tendonitis (though I think this was a misdiagnosis), a torn meniscus, arthroscopic surgery, shin splints, and a strained groin.  And it all started with that twisted ankle way back in the day that derailed my marathon training.

 

Specifically I was worried about Achilles tendonitis, but that has been pretty subdued.

 

The diagnostics aren’t completely clear—there’s a little bit of soreness on the front of the ankle/low shin/top of the foot.  The interwebs say that’s extensor tendonitis and can be treated easily enough with stretching, strengthening, ice, and compression.  So I’m doing that.  Easy peasy.


So I feel good.  And that’s what’s important right now.

 

I haven’t done this stuff in years.  Last time I tried to run any significant distance was 2014, and that was mostly a “fall out of bed and do a 10k” type of idiocy.  Frankly the tendonitis was an excellent excuse to back out of the half marathon. I’d have liked a less painful excuse, but it is what it is. The last time I put in REAL miles for REAL training was probably 2012 when I ran my last for-real half marathon. I think that was the Houston Aramco course.  I can’t remember just now.

 

Anyway, that’s where it’s at.  1.5 miles in to a 90 mile journey that ends in a 13 mile run and a .1 mile dash to the finish line.

 

I’m itching with excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment