Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Ok, so here's the deal

I’m not limping around.  There’s a little bit of tenderness around the outer part (anterior?) of the ankle, so it’s not healed, yet.  We’re coming up on a month since I rolled it the second time (12/8 was the day) and if it takes a month to 6 weeks to heal then I should be in the clear in a couple of weeks.  I’m eyeballing the weekend of 1/13 to go out and do some light hiking (with a brace on).

 

Running with physical, structural pain is a bad, bad plan.  That’s a good way to set in motion a cascade of other ailments that just wreck you.

 

Of course, that’s not the same as running with emotional pain.  I can’t tell you how many runners I know who are literally running FROM something and the only way they can quiet their demons is by pounding mile after mile out, day after day.

 

No, that’s not me.  Sorry.  I like my family.  I like my life.  I’m just trying to not be fat sick and dead and maybe make the world a better place while I’m at it.

 

So, anyway…

 

The plan as it stands is to do some light hiking on MLK weekend out at Lake Livingston.  Then, if everything is holding up and in working order, go out and try to ease my way back in to a mile.  After the mile, I’ll start stretching out for weekend long runs. 

 

I’ve been growing a beard for the last 2 or 3 months (I can’t remember when I last shaved).  I’m getting kind of tired of it because it’s long(ish) and scratchy.  What I think I’ll do is shave when I start back out on the streets and then grow a “50 mile beard”.  That might be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment