Thursday, July 1, 2010

Going longer


Last Friday I ran the longest post-hiatus run to date--8.5 miles.

In the searing heat.

I ran out of water, was under fed, suffered cramps and various pains, but I made it all the way through.  It took me a little longer than I expected--a 13:00 pace--but I made it.
Yesterday I followed that performance with a 6.8 mile run at about 11:30.  THAT run actually felt pretty good, if not fast.  From here forward my 3 mile runs are going to be considered my short runs, and my 6 mile runs are going to be considered the normal runs.  Anything over 10 miles, on my chart, will be considered long runs.  It's time to start getting serious.

Basically, at this point I feel like my baseline has been built.  I'm able to go adequate distances, even if at slow paces.  I'm satisfied enough with the distances and can start whittling down the times.  I'm still debating whether or not I want to make the transition from recreational running to honest-to-god training.  3 or 4 runs a week seem to be plenty for now, and if I do manage to squeeze out a 2 hour half marathon while keeping to the decidedly non-schedule schedule that I run with, it'll be a very, very satisfying "I told you so" that I'll be able to deliver.

One thing I won't do, however, is sign up for another 5 hour marathon.  That's just not any fun.

If the weather holds for tomorrow, I may run home from the office again to tack on another 8.5 to the ledger.  It'll be a good way to start the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment