Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Recovery hiatus... ending

Ok, so there was this hiatus thing.  Deal with it.
Back in July of 2011 I twisted my ankle and my foot didn't quite heal.  I even went to a doctor.

That didn't fix it.

I got new shoes.

That didn't fix it.

I got new shoes again.

That didn't fix it.

So instead of running the full marathon in January 2012, and another one a week later, and another one a month after that, I decided to scale back A LOT and only ran the half marathon in January.

Big mistake.

The pain didn't go away.  In fact, it got worse.

It was a peculiar kind of pain.  The kind that went away when I started running, but would come back when I stopped.  Then get worse in the morning, but by afternoon was nearly gone.  It was mainly around the back of my heel where the Achilles tendon met the retrocalcaneal bone.  (I'll wait while you google that...  back now?  Good.)  But now we're 4 months past the half marathon (2:35, by the way), and the pain is now almost entirely gone almost all the time.  I'm getting the bug to run again, but that's probably not a very good idea.  However, I do have a bike...  now, that's a pretty good idea.

So, I'm considering maybe getting back in the saddle and gearing up for a crack at a MS150 ride.  Maybe the San Antonio ride in October.  That would be a good excuse to drop 10 or 20 pounds and get back into running shape.  There's a marathon on January 1 that could be fun.  And a series of bridge runs (culminating in a half marathon) that could be a fun challenge...  ah, but I need to not push the injury.

Anyway, we'll see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment